Reducing conflict so you can focus on the big picture.


Our goal is to help people involved in family law disputes in Alberta and British Columbia resolve their differences with courage, respect and integrity. We aim to resolve family law problems fairly, quickly and at the lowest possible cost, while reducing the impact of conflict on children, minimizing conflict and promoting parents’ ability to work together into the future.



Our Approach

John-Paul Boyd Arbitration Chambers provides mediation, arbitration, med-arb and parenting coordination services for family law disputes in Alberta and British Columbia. John-Paul Boyd is a senior family law lawyer nationally known for his big-picture approach to family justice issues, contributions to public legal education on family law, and special expertise in disputes concerning parenting, support and jurisdictional disputes.


Mediation & Arbitration Services

Serving as mediator, John-Paul Boyd helps people identify interests and opportunities for compromise, engage in constructive dialogue and reach a cost-effective settlement. When consensus is impossible, John-Paul resolves disputes as an arbitrator, after building an efficient process that is proportionate to the case and the complexity and importance of the issues, and fairly hearing the evidence and each person’s arguments.


Parenting coordination SERVICES

As a parenting coordinator, John-Paul Boyd works with parents to implement final orders or agreements about children’s parenting arrangements after separation. Instead of spending time and money going to court, parents contact John-Paul when they can’t agree about a parenting issue. He will first help them try to reach an agreement, like a mediator. However, if the parents can’t agree on a resolution or the issue is urgent, John-Paul will make a decision resolving the dispute.


Children’s legal services

John-Paul Boyd prepares children’s affidavits for use in court as independent counsel, unaffiliated with the lawyers for either parent. John-Paul provides independent legal advice to children when older children’s informed consent is required, as it may be when a guardian is appointed for a child, if a child is adopted or if a child’s name is changed. John-Paul also prepares non-evaluative views of the child reports, for use in mediation, arbitration or litigation, to help parents and decision-makers understand a child’s perspective and preferences.